Monday, January 5, 2009

Perseverance




Perseverance

I’ve always enjoyed watching young adults join the body of Christ. Most of the time seeing young adults commit themselves to Christ brings me to tears. I often feel like a kid in a candy shop. Yet, what saddens me is when young adults fall away from the church because of hardship and tribulation. The probable cause for them leaving the faith is the inability to persevere.
Paul after giving a sermon in Lystra is stoned and thrown out of the city. Yet unafraid of the consequence Paul re-enters the city and encourages the disciples saying “through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.” (Acts 14:19-22). Peter writes “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening” ( Peter 4:12). Christians should not expect the road of life to be smooth, if anything as Christians, life often become more difficult because we are called to live to a higher standard than the rest of the world. God never promised smooth sailing, but he did promise a safe landing but only if we are able to persevere. Jesus said to his apostles in Matthew 10:23 that “You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.” Is there ever an account of Jesus telling the apostles or disciples that life would be easy if they were to follow him? Then how can we expect something different?

As odd as it may seem perseverance helps faith. In James 1:2-3 it says “Consider it pure joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.” WHAT!!! YOU MEAN THAT IT IS A GOOD THING TO GO THROUGH DIFFICULT TIMES? Yes! Why? Because it is in trials that we understand that we alone cannot survive but need a greater force to lean on and that force is God. A prime example would be my experience back home on break from school this past week. I was invited to hang out with my friends from high school. We met at my buddies house and we all had the intent of sleeping at his house. Throughout the course of the night there were several cases of alcohol which were being passed around. Ultimately, I knew the dreaded question would come and sure enough my buddy came up to me and said “Hey Dean have a beer.” I rejected the offer, yet he persisted and in that moment I thought “God please get me through this.” I hung in there and resisted the temptation to become drunk, with 1 Corinthians 10:13 stuck in my mind. From that experience my ability to turn away temptation and rely on God grew. I believe this lesson can be applied during times of great distress in which if we persevere, our relationship with God will grow even more intimate.

Finally, when I think about the ability to persevere, I can only think of Jesus. Just imagine how much Jesus persevered, the betrayal by his disciple Judas in the garden of Gethsemane (Luke 22:48), his best friend, Peter denying him three times (Luke 22:56-60), a mock trial (Mark 14:55-59) and ultimately the cross (John 19:16-19), so that we could be forgiven of our sins through his sacrifice. If Jesus did all of that for us, what should be our breaking point? Should there even be a breaking point with regard to our faith in Jesus as Lord? Let me encourage not just young adults but everyone to keep the faith and persevere.

No comments: