Wednesday, January 28, 2009

wandering alone...

A friend of mine sent me this poem during a time when I was experiencing spiritual distress. I did not know where I was headed, if I even wanted to continue ministry.

"Desert roads winding through my mind

Sitting among you, I wonder, I wander alone through canyons of whispering voices, the questions, my soul's haunting" What do they feel?"

"Is our faith real?"

Sitting in this room brings these thoughts plaguing, screaming "Why are we here?" "Where are the tears? "So long we've been shackled by shadow fears...unable to hear the great calling the Voice of waters and fire healing,revealing, consuming

Do we dare draw near? What is your pain? Expose blistering sands of weathered souls sifting through hands, now we're old. Do you believe in desert rain?"



The author would later go on to clarify that there was a lie based on perspective. The author noticed that we do not wander alone through the canyons but that God is with us every step of the way whether we realize it or not. At the time of my spiritual distress, I realized something very valuable, I was focusing too much on me. The one thing I was not focused on was my relationship with God.

In Proverbs 3:5 it says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." In times of distress or crisis, we should rely on God to guide us through the of the turbulence of life. God never promised a smooth sailing just a safe landing. He does however, provide a way out!

If we draw near to God he will draw near to us. Once we put our needs, wants and own understandings behind and lean on the cornerstone, Christ, we can breathe easier. Practicing the presents of God everyday gives us the assurance of knowing our creator is always present and with us every step in our journey known as life.

Are you wandering alone?

No comments: